If someone told you that your TV could turn transparent and blend into the background of your home's decor or you could have self-cleaning surfaces in your kitchen, a refrigerator with NASA inspired air purifiers to eliminate mold, a smart doorbell with live video streaming, what would your reaction be?
“You’ve got to be kidding me!”
But these smart home devices are not science fiction. They are very much a reality and are not just being designed to make your homes smarter but your lives smarter too. So if you are planning to give an upgrade to your home, read on to discover the top five ways you can tap into the latest technologies to turn your humble abode into your dream space!
The current trends depict that the smart house market will be worth 40 billion USD in the United States by the end of 2020. Interestingly, a lot of homeowners out there opt for smart houses to make their lives more convenient. In fact, Around 57% of Americans are of the view that possessing smart technology at home saves them about 30 minutes per day. By utilizing advances in wireless communication, smart technology gives you the freedom to control various appliances in your home.
And do you know the best part about smart technology?
Well, you can access it all remotely. In other words, you can switch off a smart light in your home even when you are sitting at a coffee shop. The key questions for businesses dealing in smart technology products is how to design them with features advanced enough to help with multitasking, security etc. while making sure that they are easy to use for the buyers.
However, this question has been effectively sorted by combining artificial intelligence with smart technology.
Smart Home Security Systems-The Digital Guards
When it comes to securing your home in a fool-proof manner, smart home security management systems can come in handy in a number of ways:
- Smart home security systems can easily establish connections with your home Wi-Fi system. But what do they actually enable you to do?
- lock or unlock doors with a smart lock
- open the garage
- change the settings of your thermostat
- arm or disarm your system and more
- You can even use smart security to stay safe against fire breakouts and accumulation of carbon monoxide in your home.
- Touted as one of the best smart home upgrades, these smart security systems can be accessed easily when you are in a remote location and can even detect broken pipes.
Well imagine just giving a voice command to your connected device to:
However, it is usually recommended that you sign up for an annual maintenance contract so that these smart home alarms can serve your home for a long time.
Many security systems for home consist of a base station, sensors (installed all over the premises, or wherever necessary) and alarms that can go off when there’s a breach.
Many systems also have cameras attached to the base station and intercom for 2-way chat as well. These systems have smart settings that detect usage patterns and work accordingly. Going a step further, you can even opt for professional monitoring services that are at times, bundled with such systems.
Smart Home Hubs-Mother of All Home Tech Devices
Nowadays, smart home hubs are all the rage. From Amazon Echo to Google Home, these smart speakers usually respond to voice commands.
- They can also control other smart home devices and stream music in a seamless manner. For instance, they can execute any type of virtual errands you want them to perform. They can even look for recipes of particular food items in case you have a passion for gastronomy.
- Let’s take the example of Google devices like Alexa. It can stream music directly from Google Play and YouTube. Besides that, if you ask it to use third-party music streaming apps, it can do so too. All you have to do is give it a voice command such as:
“Alexa, please play some jazz by Nina Simone.”
- Google is collaborating with companies like Philips to ensure that its smart speaker can allow you to access appliances that run on the thermostat. On the other hand, via Chromecast, you can connect to your home stereo system and TV.
- On the other hand, the Amazon Echo also offers similar services by interfacing with Nest and Ecobee programmable thermostat. This also allows you to make shopping lists.
- You can also check the status of your flight with the help of Amazon Echo. Moreover, because its Amazon, you can also have access to Amazon Prime Music.
- Smart home hubs are also portable which implies you can take them with you whenever you are in or out of the house to stay connected at all times.
And just like that, you can spend an evening relaxing to the songs of the jazz queen.
Feeling flustered while teaching the kids?
Just instruct Alexa to teach them how to do math, teach a new skill or a trivia, tell a joke, play games and more.
Smart Lighting-For Efficiency.Savings.Ease
Smart Lighting is one of those smart home gadgets which you can operate at pre-set times.
- These lighting devices usually have motion sensors that can automatically turn them on whenever the need arises. But with timers embedded into lights, you can also schedule their operation.
- Interestingly, you can also automate your existing light switches by adding a micro-module inside them. This would enable you to control them in an automatic manner without having to switch them on and off physically.
- If the lights in the room are connected to a ceiling fan, you would just need a remote which can control both the appliances. You can even access them remotely to control their operations.
For instance, when you leave a room with a smart light equipped with motion sensors, the sensor would detect your movement and would turn itself off automatically.
Such smart lighting fixtures can also be synced with computers and smartphones to know exactly how much energy you are consuming at any given time.
Robotic Vacuums-For Cleaning 2.0
Robotic Vacuums greatly portray that the constant evolution of technology has enabled individuals to opt for smarter home cleaning devices. Interestingly, inventors are still looking for ways to improve the overall functions of robotic vacuums. In other words, they are striving hard to ensure that the basic functions are understood even by someone who doesn’t have great technical acumen.
For instance, you can control the operations of a robotic vacuum even when you are far away from your home.
Imagine yourself sipping a cup of coffee while the robotic vacuum does the job on your behalf! Sounds enticing, isn’t it?
What’s more, they can even mop and are being designed with features offering:
- internet connectivity,
- home surveillance and
- even air-purification.
Plus, if manufacturers have their way, the time isn’t far when you can buy Robotic Vacuums that will answer your phone, download music or preheat your oven even as they vacuum away!
Smart Thermostats-Upping Your Hot and Cool Quotient
Smart thermostats or programmable thermostats have been the building blocks of smart heating systems for a long period of time. Here are the different ways, they can help in making your homes and lives smarter:
- You can set the thermostat to turn off or on depending on the outside weather conditions.
- Imagine waking up to a cozy room temperature or arriving home a chilled living room. You can set the thermostat to operate automatically at an efficient setting while you are away from home from 9 to 6. Then in the evening, it can operate at moderate temperatures anticipating your return from home. But even if you have not set a time limit, the thermostat can learn from your preferred settings accordingly.
- Many manufacturers are also integrating Artificial Intelligence in thermostats to make them more efficient.
- With smart thermostats, you can increase your home’s sustainability and lower your environmental footprint.
- Smart thermostats can even detect the presence of carbon monoxide and can send alerts over smartphone of the user. Throw away that separate CO detector please!
From robotic cleaning to smart lighting, smart home ideas are revolutionizing the lives of a plethora of people. Heck, we even have our refrigerators helping us know whether we have it stacked to prepare a delicious meal or need to order in (yes that’s Samsung’s Family Hub smart refrigerator does!). So you really can’t complain about technology making our homes way cooler than you could ever imagine.
So what are you thinking about? Add these upgrades to your home today to future-proof it perfectly.
Wondering where to begin?
While there are many brands in the market, choosing the right tech for your home can be a challenge. While there are many review sites, forums where technology questions and answers are discussed can also be a good source for asking fellow buyers about the right options.
Author Bio: Samuel Alfie is a blogger at ProProfs Discuss, the #1 Q&A website with millions of wisdom seekers collaborating to ask questions and get the best answers. He loves reading and writing about a variety of topics including Technology, Business e-commerce, science, philosophy, pop culture, digital media, and more. With a knack for writing, enthusiasm for research and an editorial mindset, he loves creating content that resonates with the audience.